Re: RFA: Deprecate C++ options

On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 09:59:55PM -0700, Mark Mitchell wrote:

> >Here's another proposal, which might sound radical, but I bet it'd
> >have even less user-visible impact: Let's drop support for every host
> >and target that doesn't have a C89-compliant standard library.  That
> >would mean, for instance, we could throw away fix-header and about
> >two-thirds of fixincludes.
>
> I assume that you're exempting embedded targets with no real
> standard library at all?

Yep.  I'm speaking only of pre-C89 hosted libraries.  To a first
approximation, the targets I don't like are the ones where fix-header
has to make up header files in order to meet C89 basic requirements.
Think SVR3, BSD4.2, etc.

And yes, I do mean targets.  We're well insulated from pre-C89 host
libraries by libiberty and careful coding.  It's the K+R target
libraries that cause headaches.

zw