Re: I need a new GCC

On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 06:01:07PM -0400, Joshua wrote:
> I have an old linux system with an old gcc.  I am trying to expand the
> system, but GCC is getting in the way.  It is time to upgrade.
> Unfortunately, my system also lacking in header files, so that
> compiling gcc should be a problem.  What should I do?  I am
> running out of options and would rather not write my networking
> software in assembly.

Depending on the vendor, you need to install the package (.rpm/.deb/etc.) that
includes the header files from your distribution.  Under Red Hat Linux this is
glibc-devel.  Note, there are compability issues between the newest C compiler
and the C++ libraries installed on your system.  Also, some versions of the
kernel do not take kindly to being compiled with a new compiler.

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.  (GCC group)
Work:	  meissner@redhat.com		phone: +1 978-486-9304