Re: Uninitialized warnings

On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, Stan Shebs wrote:

> On Tuesday, July 17, 2001, at 03:33 PM, Carlo Wood wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 09:51:06AM -0700, Dale Johannesen wrote:
> >> we're the first people to think of this, which gives me pause.  Is a
> >> patch that checks for uninitalized variables even without optimization
> >> likely to be accepted?
> >
> > Please don't add any warning that can generate false positives.
> > I'd rather have no warning at all for 100 actual bugs than
> > 100 correct warnings and a false positive. [...]
>
> I think there's some confusion here.  What Dale is getting at
> is that -Wuninitialized is basically useless without -O<something>,
> so why not make -Wuninitialized turn on enough dataflow analysis
> to be meaningful, but without letting it alter the output?  In other
> words, fix -Wuninitialized, even it means making the compiler run
> a little more slowly when the flag is on.

FWIW, this should be relatively straightforward to implement once
the tree SSA infrastructure is incorporated.  The current
version is already doing reachability analysis for
-Wunreachable-code using the flowgraph.

Checking for potentially uninitialized variables is just a matter
of traversing the use-def web.  It might take a while until the
code is stable enough to be of any real use, of course.

Diego.