Re: Attribute questions

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, Mark Mitchell wrote:

> 2.Do people really use "prefix attributes"?  They are undocumented,
>   as far as I can tell.  (This is the bit where you fix attributes
>   in with the decl-specifier-seq in a declaration, like this:
>
>     void __attribute__ ((pure)) f();
>
>   Very ugly.  I expect we daren't remove these, right?

Ugly, but this something that is near and dear to all code that needs
run under Windows of any flavor.

Windows targeted code needs the following to be equivalent

     void __attribute__ ((dllexport)) f();
     __attribute__ ((dllexport)) void f();

GCC already handles the following:

     void f() __attribute__ ((dllexport));

but that's not in common use in that world.

The C++ front-end has had historical problem in handling these ugly but
much needed constructs, and a source of regressions among major releases.

Regards,
Mumit