What is BUFSIZ for?

In a number of .h files, such as rtl.h and tree.h, the macro BUFSIZ
(with no 'E') is used to ifdef prototypes for output functions,
seemingly for anything that defines FILE *.  Presumably this is
to ensure that stdio.h has been properly included.  My question
is: why?  I don't see any files that include rtl.h, that are not
part of the compiler and thus have stdio.h available already,
and similarly for tree.h etc.  If there is a reason for this,
then the internal docs ought to say something; the BUFSIZ tests
are pretty weird-looking.

Stan