Re: Missing documentation

On Sat, Jun 09, 2001 at 07:25:15PM -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Jun  9, 2001, Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com> wrote:
>
> >   Alexandre:
>
> >      -print-multi-lib
> >      -print-multi-directory
> >      -aux-info
>
> Documented as follows.

> +@item -aux-info @var{filename}
> +@opindex aux-info
> +Output to the given filename declarations for all functions declared
> +and/or defined in a translation unit, including those in header files.
> +This option is silently ignored in any languages other than C.

Grammar nit: 'language other than C' not 'languages ...'

I think there should be more documentation of the format than just
"declarations".  It looks like this:

/* /usr/include/stdio.h:275:NC */ extern int printf (const char *, ...);

You should at least mention that it prefixes each one with a comment
giving the file and line of the declaration.  The code letters after
the line number should also be documented, but this is less important.

- from c-aux-info.c, it seems that the first letter may be 'I' 'N' or
  'O' corresponding to implicit, new (prototyped), and old
  (unprototyped) decl/defn respectively.  The second letter may be 'C'
  or 'F' corresponding to declaration and definition respectively.

  oh, and for function definitions, it appends a comment to the line
  giving an old-style function header for the definition, e.g.

/* dtoa.c:10:NF */ static char *dtoa_c (char *buf, t_uint32 n);
				/* (buf, n) char *buf; t_uint32 n; */

  all on one line in the original.

You should also mention that this is used during the GCC build, and by
(un)protoize.

zw