how to change register allocation order

Hi,all:

       I want to port GCC to our own CPU. It is very similiar to ARM, so I
am changing the machine description of ARM according to our needs. When I
changed the register usage, I encountered some problems. I found although I
changed the MACRO REG_ALLOC_ORDER, there is no effect at all. Does anyone
know the possible reason? How can I change the register allocation order in
GCC?

Thanks

Tao Zhang