Eliminating POTFILES, etc - can we lose catgets support?

I'm presently looking into what it would take to get rid of the need
to update POTFILES.in every time files are added or removed from the
tree.  The po subdirectory Makefile is extremely Byzantine; so are the
aclocal.m4 macros associated with it.  This may take a while.

It would simplify matters considerably if we could abandon support for
catgets(3), using our own libintl on systems that only provide that
interface.  Any objections?

--
zw  "Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3" ... is feminist in depicting a woman as fully
    capable of holding her own in violent combat with heavily armed men.