Re: Comments with -fpreprocessed

Neil Booth wrote:
> Since what your patch was addressing is not really a problem (CPP
> doesn't output comments, except with -C), and if users are editing
> preprocessed files in such a way to change the syntax they have larger
> problems than inadvertent comments, I think we should revert that
> patch.
I disagree. 2.95.2 does not accept comments in preprocessed source, so
accepting them now is a regression. IMO, options should do exactly what they
say. `preprocessed' means that comments aren't there. Maybe we should
allow -C to indicate that they are. I.e.
	gcc -E -C foo.c > foo.i			;# generate with comments
	gcc -c -C foo.i 			;# accept with comments
should do what you want. Does that make sense?

Do you know of a good reason for wanting to stick -C preprocessed source
through cc1{,plus}?

nathan

--
Dr Nathan Sidwell   ::   http://www.codesourcery.com   ::   CodeSourcery LLC
         'But that's a lie.' - 'Yes it is. What's your point?'