Re: 2.7.2.3 and STL

>> On Mon, 21 May 2001, MALETA,MAREK (A-Germany,ex1) wrote:
>> > Does gcc 2.7.2.3 support STL ?
>>
>> Yes, it supported an old version which you had to install using an extra
>> package libstdc++ (or was it still part of libg++ back then)?

> That is incorrect.

> No, libstdc++ 2.7.2.x did not contain the STL in any form.  There was a
> port of the SGI STL that worked with gcc 2.7.2.x, sort of (STLport).

I belive this is incorrect.

I still have gcc-2.7.2.1 and libg++-2.7.2 installed on a Solaris box,
under my own home-grown package system.  And here include files like
eg. <vector>, and <set> shows up as installed with libg++-2.7.2 on
September 26 1996.

No STLPort involved.  As far as I can remember this STL implementation
was based on Stephanov's original HP STL (predecessor of SGI STL?),
modified to compile with g++.

Side note/trivia: The <string> class, which is from the Standard C++
Library rather than STL, was libg++'s own homegrown, refcounting,
non-thread-safe, implementation of the standard library string, which
I think is the one that has been with us all the way up to (but not
including) the libstdc++-v3 library.