Re: List of simplifications we should perform

On Fri, 11 May 2001, DJ Delorie wrote:

> > One could even take this a step further and provide an interface
> > to allow people to write optimizer in higher-level languages. I'm
> > not sure how practical would that be, though.
>
> (define-optimization "neg-neg"
>   [(set (match-operand:SI 0 "" "")
>         (neg:SI (neg:SI (match-operand:SI 1 "" ""))))]
>   "condition"
>   [(set (match-dup 0) (match-dup 1))]
>   "prep-statement"
>   )

Yes, this is cool for localized peephole-like optimizations. And,
yes it would be a nice beginner's project.

But, can you describe GCSE with this? Or an SSA based PRE?

What would be really cool is to have a sufficiently high-level
language (say ML?) that lets you take an algorithm from a book
and just type it in virtually unmodified. Leaving all the gritty
bit-munching details to the optimizer generator.

Alternatively, you could adapt an dataflow generator like sharlit
or what have you.

Diego.