Re: Too hard, was: g77 Build Problems

At 12:10 AM -0400 5/4/01, John David Anglin wrote:
> > Alternatively, isn't there a way to build an as that lives in
> > /usr/local with g77, but doesn't replace the standard one?
>
>Yes, this the environment that I use under hpux.  The compiler and
>other tools can be installed anywhere you want.  When you configure gcc,
>use `--with-as=' to specify the location of the assembler.  If you
>can build binutils with the MacOS X tools, the default prefix will
>install the tools in /usr/local.  You will still need to specify
>`--with-as=/usr/local/bin/as' for the first build and install due
>the way gcc finds the binutils tools.  After the gcc install directories
>are created, you won't have this problem.

I think we're in "violent agreement".  The issue I'm raising is under
MacOS X where they already have Gnu tools as standard, but I need a
non'standard patch to as in order for g77 to work.  The posted
instructions on the darwin-development list have me replacing the
standard as with one that might not work for other things instead of
putting it someplace more specific to g77.

Signature held pending an ISO 9000 compliant
signature design and approval process.