Re: CLIB

On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 06:52:30AM -0400, Richard Kenner wrote:
> I see this was removed.  What is its replacement?

It depends what you need it for.

> There are two issued here:
>
> (1) You sometimes need to specify additional libs manually.  For example,
> to build a VMS cross-compiler from Dec Unix, you need to add -lm to CLIB.

This really shouldn't be necessary.  What causes it?

> (2) -lexc used to be in an x- file for Alpha, but isn't there anymore
> and it isn't getting specified, so GNAT won't link.

I asked what -lexc was for and no one said anything.  I assumed it was
for collect2.

The fix here is to figure out exactly which executables need -lexc,
add an autoconf probe for its existence, and @-substitute it onto the
link line for just those executables.  It's important not to link
random programs with libraries they may not need, particularly if
those libraries are shared.

zw