Re: Should gcc add RPATH for libstdc++.so?

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 11:53:45PM +0000, Joern Rennecke wrote:
> Hmmm, for elf, could we add a checksum of the library - or its interface,
> if you can sufficiently define that - in a special section of the library,
> and quote that checksum in the executable?  So the rpath could be ignored
> if the library doesn't match.

And then when the x.1 bugfix release of the library is used instead of the
x.0 version, all executables fail to load?  Sorta defeats the purpose of
backwards-compatible shared library replacements, doesn't it?  :-)

We could just do a check against the version number -- but that's the
runtime loader's job, and is already done.

Phil