Re: COLLECT_EXPORT_LIST

On Sun, Mar 11, 2001 at 04:01:28PM -0500, David Edelsohn wrote:
> 	COLLECT_EXPORT_LIST no longer protects code that only is
> associated with export list issues specific to the AIX linker.
>
> 	It serves basically three functions: working around AIX linkers
> agressive garbage collection (which GNU ld targeted at AIX currently does
> not have), protecting the AIX init/fini processing (which the new GNU ld
> support now does have), and choosing AIX XCOFF processing of object files.
> The #ifndef CROSS_COMPILE is no longer entirely correct.

GNU ld does have suppport for aggresive garbage collection these days, though
whether the AIX target supports --gc-sections, I dunno.  IIRC, under AIX, the
compiler always does the equivalent of -ffunction-sections and -fdata-sections
to allow the GC to work.

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.  (GCC group)
Work:	  meissner@redhat.com		phone: +1 978-486-9304