This is the mail archive of the
gcc@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: status bounded pointer support in GCC
- To: Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse dot de>
- Subject: Re: status bounded pointer support in GCC
- From: Greg McGary <greg at mcgary dot org>
- Date: 08 Feb 2001 11:12:13 -0700
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- References: <hopugtp5p2.fsf@gee.suse.de>
Andreas Jaeger <aj@suse.de> writes:
> what's the status of the bounded pointer support?
I'm slowly doing a merge of 3 months of changes on the trunk into
bounded-pointers-branch. There are 100 or so substantial conflicts.
> I haven't seen any development or update for quite a long time.
I changed jobs, so my paid work has been more demanding lately.
> I had hoped to see it in gcc 3.0 but since we're now in a slush and
> your patches look to big for it, I don't think that's possible
> anymore.
BPs were frozen out of 3.0 months ago, which in part explains lack of
activity. I'm awaiting the thaw. But even as early as last summer, I
was getting horrible patch-review latency of many weeks, which
discouraged me greatly.
> In what state is the code? Can it go into the mainline
> branch after we merged 3.0?
I certainly hope so.
> Your bounded pointer implementation is IMO quite usefull and I really
> appreciate the work you're doing there.
Thank you for the encouraging words!
Greg