This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Need graph coloring code
- To: dberlin at redhat dot com, jawalker at mail dot quik dot com
- Subject: Re: Need graph coloring code
- From: dewar at gnat dot com
- Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 22:01:25 -0500 (EST)
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
<<> Um ... I don't read the statutes and case law that way. In fact, I read it
> exactly the opposite way: substantial improvements of the original algorithm
> are specifically covered by the original patent.
You can only patent inventions, not ideas, so the idea that a patent
covers all future inventions based on the same or similar ideas seems
dubious to me. What case law are you referring to here?