This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: COLLECT_GCC and friends
- To: Mark Mitchell <mark at codesourcery dot com>
- Subject: Re: COLLECT_GCC and friends
- From: Jeffrey A Law <law at redhat dot com>
- Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 17:42:40 -0700
- cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Reply-To: law at redhat dot com
In message <20010122115543B.firstname.lastname@example.org>you write:
> We pass COLLECT_GCC and COLLECT_GCC_OPTIONS through the environment
> rather than through command-line arguments to collect2?
> It's rather tricky us hiding these things away, and makes cutting and
> pasting -v output in the shell not work, which is very unfriendly to
> debugging on platforms where collect2 is used.
> What's the rationale?
I suspect most of this braindamage is related to when collect2 was actually
called "ld" and we had to play silly games to make sure the right options got
passed to the right program. It can probably be cleaned up significantly now
that collect2 is actually called collect2.