Re: in search of clue regarding -fcheck-memory-usage

On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 12:38:32PM -0800, Mark Mitchell wrote:

>     Zack> My major concern is that up till now 'reg' had been
>     Zack> destructively replaced by a MEM rtx before we got here.  My
>     Zack> changes are going to postpone that until after we're done
>     Zack> generating RTL.  So XEXP (reg, 0) is now an invalid
>     Zack> operation.  What should I be replacing it with?
>
> An ADDRESSOF?  Isn't what the thing wants in the end -- the address of
> some memory?  So, you can use ADDRESSOF (REG), and then rely on the
> ADDRESSOF pass to insert this stuff later.

This is happening in put_var_into_stack, which is just when we do
generate ADDRESSOFs (sometimes).  However, even if we do do that, the
new RTL wasn't visible once I stopped clobbering the original REG.

I worked out a way to deal with it, hopefully.

> This is part of why I objected to the design of the -fcheck-memory
> stuff; it is too interleaved with ordinary compiler processing.  It
> should be a separate pass -- either on trees or RTL.

It doesn't help that the library functions it's calling are not part
of the GCC runtime...

zw