This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
RE: ObjC configured --with-objc-gc needs external Boehm gc
- To: "Boehm, Hans" <hans_boehm at hp dot com>
- Subject: RE: ObjC configured --with-objc-gc needs external Boehm gc
- From: Matthias Klose <doko at cs dot tu-berlin dot de>
- Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 02:21:03 +0100 (MET)
- Cc: "'Helge Hess'" <helge dot hess at skyrix dot com>, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org, java-discuss at sources dot redhat dot com, ovidiu at cup dot hp dot com
- References: <140D21516EC2D3119EE700902787664401E3A83E@hplex1.hpl.hp.com>
Boehm, Hans writes:
> The question is really whether the last pointer to an object can point to
> the inside of the object. If you can get and save a pointer to a field in
> object A, save it inside object B, and then drop the pointer to A, you need
> ALL_INTERIOR_POINTERS. Thus C/C++ more or less need it, while Java doesn't.
> If you can embed C structs inside Objective C objects, I suspect Objective C
> also needs it?
Then ObjC needs it as well.