Re: Is this supposed to work, or am I loopy?

On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 10:14:13AM -0800, Nick Clifton wrote:
> :
> : Is there nothing supported under Linux other than using a pair of -Wl
> : options?  According to its manual, GNU ld would recognize -Rfoo as a runtime
> : library search path setting when foo is a directory, if the driver weren't
> : killing it first.
>
> What's wrong with using -Wl, ?  It is only four more characters to
> type, and it will then work on all build environments.
>
>    g++ -Wl,-R/home/pme/build/install-2001-01-04/lib huh.cc

Nothing's *wrong* with it.  Just

  1)  wanted to make certain I wasn't missing anything obvious, and
  2)  it seems a bit on the gratuitiously incompatible side.

A user brought (2) to my attention ("gcc takes -R under everything else,
gcc doesn't take -R under linux, ergo linux is broken") and I wanted to
test it with the current sources.

Phil