Configuring inside the source tree

Hi,
A month or so back, configuring and building within the source tree
broke. Our instructions tell users to make a sibling directory and configure
there. That's kind of strange, normally you see a configure file and just
execute it. The problem is, it does not fail immediately.
A few days ago, it got all the way to building libc++sup before failing
-- then installing gets you a broken C++ system. Also if the user does this
and then figures out what should be done, their stymied because the first
thing that happens in the sibling directory configure is `can't build here
when ../egcs is configured' - ow!

Either we support building within the source tree -- and get that back working.
Or we have configure issue an error immediately.

My preference is for the former behaviour -- it has the least surprising
behaviour.

nathan

--
Dr Nathan Sidwell   ::   http://www.codesourcery.com   ::   CodeSourcery LLC
         'But that's a lie.' - 'Yes it is. What's your point?'