Re: NLS support will be disabled by default for now

> Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 08:09:18 +0100 (CET)
> From: Dennis Bjorklund <db@zigo.dhs.org>
> To: Philipp Thomas <pthomas@suse.de>
> cc: <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>, Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com>

> On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, Philipp Thomas wrote:

> > A thread on libc-alpha lead to a short discussion with Paul Eggert. The
> > result is, that we can't only set LC_MESSAGES as we currently do, as the
> > result of having mixed locales is undefined.
> >
> > According to Paul, the only portable way to do it is setting LC_ALL, i.e.
> > all locale categories.

> What's the meaning with LC_MESSAGES, LC_TIME, LC_xxx if you only can set
> LC_ALL. There is no logic behind that.

I can't help but feel like we should have a few translations of some
of the more common messages in cvs, already, in order to flush out
problems, experience how it works, see it in action, get it refined
before release and so on.  As time goes on, it would be nice to see
the release schedule filled in with such details.

I think by integrating it earlier, more problems can be found and
addressed.  Also, there is more time to have the masses test it.  The
day of the release is a bad time to actually test the software.