Re: Mistaken change in GCC (fwd)

kenner@vlsi1.ultra.nyu.edu (Richard Kenner) writes:

>     2. Support for preprocessing things which are not C is much lower
>        priority than support for preprocessing C.
>
> I agree with this.  *However*, supporting emacs has a high priority within
> the GNU project, of which GCC is a part.

There are two ways we could support emacs:

- change the preprocessor so that it does what emacs expects; or
- change emacs.

The question is which of these two is easier.  I seriously doubt that
changing a few #if statements in emacs will be harder than dropping in
the old preprocessor in GCC.  In fact, I would wonder why emacs
doesn't just use the ISO cpp?

[Actually, there is a third option.  If emacs really requires the
exact feature set of the 2.95 GCC CPP, it could include it in its
own distribution.  Of course, the reasons for not doing that are
the same as the reasons for not including it in GCC.]

--
- Geoffrey Keating <geoffk@geoffk.org>