Possible strange behaviour of gcc

Hi!
I have a strange behaviour of gcc on Windows (mingw-version):

I have to link a binary only lib to my application and it
crashes when i use a string constant which is
(including the trailing '\0') longer than 8 chars.

I thought, it was a classical memory allocation problem,
but the application reserves 10 Bytes for the string.

So i tried -fwritable-strings, but no success, either.

Does gcc behave somehow differently, when a data item exceeds 8 Bytes?
I assume, my problem has to do with an incompatibility of the two compilers
(MSVC and gcc).

Thanks for any hints in advance,
Martin.

--
The early bird gets the worm. If you want something else for
breakfast, get up later.