Re: Preprocessor arithmetic

> EDG's compiler uses arbitrary numbers of host words, and that really
> is necessary.  There are 32-bit chips without 64-bit data types, that
> need to cross compile to 64-bit chips with 128-bit data types.
> Whether we use gmp, or roll a small library of our own, we need this
> functionality.

Do we really support cross-compiling from any chip for which we don't
support a 64-bit data type?  I can't think of any.

BFD will usually require a 64-bit data type when cross-compiling to a
64-bit chip, and this hasn't caused any trouble to date.  128-bit
types are more tricky, but IMHO it'd be not much more work to simply
implement a 128-bit type in those native 32-bit compilers, and more
useful, and would give a faster cpp.

--
- Geoffrey Keating <geoffk@geoffk.org>