Re: Preprocessor arithmetic

On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 12:22:54AM -0800, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 07:43:06AM +0000, Neil Booth wrote:
> > Zack Weinberg wrote:-
> >
> > > Either.  Think about cross-compiling from a 32-bit machine to a brand
> > > new shiny 128-bit chip.  Okay, this is less likely than cross-
> > > compiling from a 32-bit machine to an embedded 16- or 8-bit chip, but
> > > no less wrong.
> >
> > Right.  In other words, we require arbitrary precision integer
> > arithmetic.  My understanding is that not even the compiler proper
> > does this.
>
> The compiler proper has support for up to 2*HOST_WIDE_INT integer
> arithmetic (actually operating on tree nodes).  I think.
>
> > What's the long term goal in this area?  To write a library to handle
> > such arithmetic, and use it in cpp and the front ends?
>
> Hm, g95 presently uses libgmp for integer and floating point
> arithmetic simulation.  It might not be a bad idea to scrap what we
> have and use libgmp everywhere - particularly the floating point
> emulator.

It depends which floating point emulator you are talking about.  The one in
real.c, certainly.  The one in config/fp-bit.c, I would say not at this time,
since AFAIK, gmp doesn't have the libgcc exception to allow users to link it
in.  Also, we would have to fold gmp into libgcc.a.

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.
Work:	  meissner@redhat.com		phone: +1 978-486-9304