Re: Generation process for cpp.1

On Sun, Nov 12, 2000 at 11:44:36PM +0000, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Nov 2000, Zack Weinberg wrote:
>
> > > Can't locate object method "U" via package "gnu" at ../texi2pod.pl line 58, <STDIN> line 105.
> >
> > *bonk* Take the 'e' modifier off this line:
> >
> > 	s/\@sc\{([^\}]*)\}/\U$1/eg;
>
> With this patch (using unmodified pod2man from Perl 5.6.0), I get a
> reasonable manpage from gcov.texi.  When I try to extend the manpage to
> cover the whole of gcov.texi, I notice:
>
> * It doesn't remove @node lines.

Add

    /^\@node/ and next;

right after

    /^\@need/ and next;

> * The line
>
> =head2 Brief description of C<gcov> data files
>
> comes out oddly in the nroff output.  This would seem to be a pod2man
> problem: at the end of the C<...>, the standard font rather than the font
> used in the header gets restored.

Yes.  This is still a problem with podlators-1.04.

.Sh "Brief description of \f(CW\*(C`gcov\*(C'\fR data files"

I think the final \fR should be \fP.

I've also noticed a problem with mysterious blank lines in the output.
For instance:

.Ip "\fB\-x c\fR" 4
.IX Item "-x c"
.PD 0
.Ip "\fB\-x c++\fR" 4
.IX Item "-x c++"
.Ip "\fB\-x objective-c\fR" 4
.IX Item "-x objective-c"
.Ip "\fB\-x assembler-with-cpp\fR" 4
.IX Item "-x assembler-with-cpp"
.PD

gives

       -x c
       -x c++

       -x objective-c
       -x assembler-with-cpp

when nroffed.  I *think* this is actually a page break.  My copy of
tmac.an has some strange hack in it to prevent headers and footers
from showing up except at the very top and bottom of the text, but it
doesn't quite work.

There is also a lengthy block of blank lines at the end of the nroffed
manpage.  I don't know where they come from, but they only show up in
pod2man-generated manpages, and not all of them either...

zw