Switching to V3

Folks --

  I am planning to make the switch to V3 today.

  To that end, I would like people to be very careful checking things
in today.  The tree is not frozen completely, but please do avoid any
major disturbances.

  Here is the procedure I am planning on doing:

  - Verify that V3 builds on IRIX 6.5, Solaris 2.8, and Red Hat 6.2.

  - Verify that make check-g++ produces similar (hopefully no
    regressions) with and without V3.

  - Make changes as required to make these conditions true.

  - Investigate, and try to fix, template issues that David Edelsohn
    has brought to my attention that are causing troubles on AIX.

    This step is tricky because I do not have convenient access to an
    AIX box.

  At that point, we'll throw the switch.  I do not anticipate major
problems, but there may be some.  We will work those out in the coming
days -- this is necessary pain, and we cannot put it off forever.

  Thanks,