Re: config.sub pentium2 and pentiumii aliases (fwd)

Mo McKinlay <mmckinlay@gnu.org> writes:

>   Torbjorn Granlund <tege@swox.com> writes:
>
>   > Some packages might want to make a distinction between exact CPU
>   > types.  GMP is one such package, where there has a very significant
>   > speed advantage,
>
> tbh, I don't think it's config.guess/config.sub's job to figure this out -
> I think there should be specific autoconf tests for specific CPU
> type. Splitting the ix86 family of chips up for generic configury always
> seemed to be a bizarre idea, as the majority applications treat i[34567]86
> as a single type of CPU.
>
> But, as this wasn't done in the first place, I doubt it will happen any
> time soon, so I'll shut up ;)

For what it's worth, so far patching config.guess/sub, or putting
wrappers around them, seems the best way to handle private or finer
grained cpu types.  Doing it that way keeps right away from the
details of AC_CANONICAL_TARGET etc.  But better suggestions would be
welcomed.