This is the mail archive of the
gcc@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: config.sub pentium2 and pentiumii aliases (fwd)
- To: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Subject: Re: config.sub pentium2 and pentiumii aliases (fwd)
- From: kevin at swox dot se (Kevin Ryde)
- Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 00:49:25 +0100 (CET)
Mo McKinlay <mmckinlay@gnu.org> writes:
>
> Torbjorn Granlund <tege@swox.com> writes:
>
> > Some packages might want to make a distinction between exact CPU
> > types. GMP is one such package, where there has a very significant
> > speed advantage,
>
> tbh, I don't think it's config.guess/config.sub's job to figure this out -
> I think there should be specific autoconf tests for specific CPU
> type. Splitting the ix86 family of chips up for generic configury always
> seemed to be a bizarre idea, as the majority applications treat i[34567]86
> as a single type of CPU.
>
> But, as this wasn't done in the first place, I doubt it will happen any
> time soon, so I'll shut up ;)
For what it's worth, so far patching config.guess/sub, or putting
wrappers around them, seems the best way to handle private or finer
grained cpu types. Doing it that way keeps right away from the
details of AC_CANONICAL_TARGET etc. But better suggestions would be
welcomed.