Re: config.sub pentium2 and pentiumii aliases (fwd)

On Tue, 7 Nov 2000, Robert Dewar wrote:

> Isn't i386 also trademarked?
>
> Do the trademarks really cause a problem, we have a compiler for Pentium,
> I see no reason not to say so. I suppose somewhere we would have to say
> "Trademarks are the property of their respective companies". Is that
> objectionable.

According to the GNU coding standards:

   Please do not include any trademark acknowledgements in GNU software
   packages or documentation.

   Trademark acknowledgements are the statements that such-and-such is a
   trademark of so-and-so. The GNU Project has no objection to the basic
   idea of trademarks, but these acknowledgements feel like kowtowing, so
   we don't use them. There is no legal requirement for them.

   What is legally required, as regards other people's trademarks, is to
   avoid using them in ways which a reader might read as naming or
   labeling our own programs or activities. For example, since "Objective
   C" is (or at least was) a trademark, we made sure to say that we
   provide a "compiler for the Objective C language" rather than an
   "Objective C compiler". The latter is meant to be short for the
   former, but it does not explicitly state the relationship, so it could
   be misinterpreted as using "Objective C" as a label for the compiler
   rather than for the language.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk