This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: config.sub pentium2 and pentiumii aliases (fwd)
- To: Ben Elliston <bje at cygnus dot com>
- Subject: Re: config.sub pentium2 and pentiumii aliases (fwd)
- From: Mo McKinlay <mmckinlay at gnu dot org>
- Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 22:11:21 +0000 (UTC)
- cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Organization: inter/open Labs
> I'd like to suggest that the config.sub pentium2 and pentiumii aliases
> should map to i686 not i786. I believe i686 is the conventional
> architectural designation for these, certainly they behave like a
> plain i686 pentiumpro for the purposes of plain integer code.
This is correct IMNSHO - architecturally speaking, Pentium = i586, Pentium
II = i686. I'm not sure how "pentium2" and "pentiumii" managed to be i786,
but it's incorrect. AFAIK, the Pentium III is also "i686" (don't quote me
on that!) - certainly my PIII system is classed as 'i686'. There was some
recent talk on the LKML of what the designation for the PIV should be, and
the concensus seemed to be 'i786' IIRC.
So..after that minor ramble, yes - I think the pentium2 and pentiumii
aliases should map to i686 ;-)