This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Why not gnat Ada in gcc?
- To: dewar at gnat dot com
- Subject: Re: Why not gnat Ada in gcc?
- From: Richard Stallman <rms at gnu dot org>
- Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2000 08:48:23 -0700 (MST)
- CC: guerby at acm dot org, dewar at gnat dot com, dstarner98 at aasaa dot ofe dot org, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org, kenner at vlsi1 dot ultra dot nyu dot edu, law at redhat dot com
- References: <20001104044654.1290E34D83@nile.gnat.com>
- Reply-to: rms at gnu dot org
Once again, is it really the case that the GNU project routinely
prepares Redhat Linux and Suse Linux RPM's
Making RPMs is not part of a GNU maintainer's duties. Our preferred
version of GNU/Linux is Debian, so we should give Debian developers
full cooperation, but we normally don't tell GNU package maintainers
that they themselves should make the Debian packages (though they can
do that job too if they want to).
However, Guerby's message suggested that there are other issues
involved, that this is not just a matter of making packages.
Anyway, would you please ask the people who make RPMs for the various
versions of GNU/Linux to please call their work "GNAT for GNU/Linux"?
PS. Please keep in mind that I transfer mail in batches once or twice
a day. I am always responding to the mail that was sent to me between
24 and 48 hours ago. So my response to any point you raise will
always be delayed; please don't interpret this delay as making any
assertion about the topic.