Re: Gcc extra alignment..

On Tue, Oct 31, 2000 at 09:47:22AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> The report was that the code generated for macro expansion apparently
> thinks of the do-while-loop as a loop (which it obviously isn't except
> from a purely syntactic viewpoint), and generates ".p2align" assembler
> directives at the beginning.

It is possible, and would depend on the exact layout of the surrounding
code.  We generate extra loop alignment if there is a LOOP note adjacent
to a label.  The combination of fake loop notes and labels appearing for
other reasons is not detected.

The whole loop note business is kinda gross.  Fortunately Michael Hayes
is working on cleaning up the loop pass such that we do not use notes,
but (gasp) natural loops detected from the control flow graph.

r~