Re: Debug formats on Linux

<<No, they have a lot of duplicate info, and there are still
optimizations we don't pull off that we should (like factoring
location lists and putting them in .debug_loc, factoring strings and
putting them in .debug_str.)
BTW, this is what -feliminate-dwarf2-dups does, is eliminate the duplicates
Of course we still get killed by the overhead of so many labels.
Once we have a linker we can actually eliminate dwarf2 in, dwarf2 will
be as small as stabs, if not smaller.

It certainly has the capability to me much smaller than stabs.

Ah OK! Your definition of "proper" was pretty extensive :-)

Yes, indeed if all duplication is removed, things should be much better.
It is not so easy to remove the duplicate information in the linker. Dwarf 2
was not exactly designed to facilitate this, but it certainlyis a major need.