Re: New C++ Parser

On Sat, Oct 21, 2000 at 08:26:25PM -0400, Robert Dewar wrote:

> <<  - Might be faster.
> >>

> Almost certainly faster, but the parser should take a very small fraction
> of the compile time anyway, so this is not really a factor.

You have the funkiest style of quoting... anyhow.

The parser "should" take a small fraction of the compile time, but it
usually doesn't.  When I've cared enough to look, most of my experiences
are that the parser takes the majority of the compile time, which is one
reason why PCH gets so much attention.

Take a peek at the gcc-bugs archives of late August for a thread with the
subject of "Example program takes 2000 times as long to compile under C++
as C" for some good discussion on this point.  The original post contained
the note that

    As you can see, the compile takes 0.09 seconds with C front end and
    209.43 seconds with the C++ front end.  Virtually all of the time is
    spent in either the parser (73%) and integration (27%) portions of
    the compiler.

and some great numbers were thrown around in the followups.  Very
educational.

Luck++;
Phil