Re: Using of parse tree externally

Marc Espie <espie@quatramaran.ens.fr> writes:

| In article <200010122001.NAA09483@racerx.synopsys.com> you write:
| >
| >Exactly.  It's best to avoid this whole fight by finding some way of
| >implementing the desired functionality (e.g. static analysis tools) in a
| >less risky way.
|
| It looks to me like this debate has been going on for years.
| So far, no-one has come forward and found a less risky way to implement
| the desired functionality.
|
| There might be a few reasons for that (some of them highly inflamatory):
| 1/ no-one really knows how to tweak the code anyway, and saying it's not
| a good idea for political reasons let us save face. :-)

The job is technically doable.  But working on GCC is not just technical.
Which brings us to the next (political) reason:

| 2/ people have started on the work, but gotten so much political hate-mail
| (`you're going to KILL THE GPL. I hate your guts.') that they stopped.

Or people have started the work but refrain from publishing their in
fear of getting such mails -- which in effect is equivalent to having
nothing.

It is an ironical situation that a reading of "free software
philosophy" prevents free software.

-- Gaby
CodeSourcery, LLC                             http://www.codesourcery.com