gcc linux problem

Hi I made a  Linux box recently and I have some problems with GCC compiler.
My machine is  AMD k6 500MHz with 64 MHz RAM, and I'm running Linux Mandrake
7.0 OS.
when I tried to compile a c program using gcc, it says stdio.h file cannot
be found. Then I put those include folders to the i586-Linux folder. When I
compiled it again I get the message saying "ld cannot open crt1.o file".

I need to know how to configure gcc compiler( which I thought get configured
when you put your OS on it) and how do u put the include file path.
basically I want the gcc compiler to work without any problem.
I have been programming in C last 4 yrs in Unix OS so far I never came
across this kind of a problem.

if you could help me I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
********
Shriyan Sanmuganthan
Programmer