This is the mail archive of the
gcc@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
RE: rfc: new libgcc build mechanism
- To: "'pausmith at nortelnetworks dot com'" <pausmith at nortelnetworks dot com>
- Subject: RE: rfc: new libgcc build mechanism
- From: Donn Terry <donnte at microsoft dot com>
- Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 11:45:19 -0700
- Cc: 'Felix Lee' <flee at teleport dot com>, 'Robert Lipe' <robertlipe at usa dot net>, 'Russ Allbery ' <rra at stanford dot edu>, "'autoconf at gnu dot org '" <autoconf at gnu dot org>, "'gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org '" <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
I'm using that as an unambiguous representation of the current text
which is full of `` and unbalanced ) so that it's very difficult to
get right. That's what I said (not quite so explicitly) in my
prior message. (Start, as I said in prior mail, with
@quoted_cc_set_by_configure@ in the non-symlink case... this
is a lot easier to understand at least.)
What's currently in the distribution does not work on ANY system
(where configure determines there are no symbolic links) because
the `` get balanced improperly. Let's either:
1) Find the equivalent sequence using `` that does work everywhere
(which I'm not sure is possible, but I'd be happy to be wrong).
2) Admit it's not possible (or far too impractical), and look
at the alternative of finding a shell that supports $() or
some other alternative.
Donn
> -----Original Message-----
> From: pausmith@nortelnetworks.com [mailto:pausmith@nortelnetworks.com]
> Sent: Wednesday, May 10, 2000 10:07 AM
> To: Donn Terry
> Cc: 'Felix Lee'; 'Robert Lipe'; 'Russ Allbery '; 'autoconf@gnu.org ';
> 'gcc@gcc.gnu.org '
> Subject: Re: rfc: new libgcc build mechanism
>
>
> %% Donn Terry <donnte@microsoft.com> writes:
>
> I haven't looked closely at this, but I will note right off that this:
>
> dt> "CC=$$(echo $$(case '$(CC)' in (stage*) echo
> '$(CC)' | sed -e
>
> is very non-portable. /bin/sh on Solaris (2.5.1 and 2.6 at least)
> can't handle either of these constructs (either $() or () in
> case match
> items), for example. Since make always uses /bin/sh, installing this
> construct will make gcc unbuildable on Solaris (at least).
>
> --
> --------------------------------------------------------------
> -----------------
> Paul D. Smith <psmith@baynetworks.com> Network
> Management Development
> "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a
> professional." --Mad Scientist
> --------------------------------------------------------------
> -----------------
> These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no
> responsibility for them.
>