This is the mail archive of the
gcc@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Email rejected by gcc list
- To: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Subject: Re: Email rejected by gcc list
- From: Steinar Bang <sb at metis dot no>
- Date: 08 Feb 2000 09:17:16 +0100
- References: <10002080014.AA00633@vlsi1.ultra.nyu.edu>
>>>>> kenner@vlsi1.ultra.nyu.edu (Richard Kenner):
>> Now, if there was no advantage, then why did 57% of all my spam
>> that I receive go through an open relay?
> You and I have very different data. I look at most spam messages I
> receive and only a handful (as I said, a few percent) have gone through
> relays.
Unless you stored the messages and have done statistics on them, this
isn't evidence in the manner of what Mike has.
> But please explain the advantage to the spammer of using relays.
> Even most sites that are open relays generate proper "Received:"
> lines. SO it's just as easy to trace a spammer.
You can usually trace the spammer to the first machine used as a
relay, and that's what seems to be the originating machine.
We got some annoyed email messages from people receiving spam they
belived to originate from us, until we upgraded the MTA on the gateway
machine.
With this in mind, it should really be in the best interest of sites
to have relaying turned off.