This is the mail archive of the
gcc@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Red Hat/Cygnus merger & GCC
Michael Harnois wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Nov 1999 22:34:46 -0700, Jeffrey A Law <law@cygnus.com> said:
>
> > I'm sure most of you have heard about the Red Hat/Cygnus merger
> > that was announced on Monday.
>
> > I'd just like to reassure everyone that the merger should not
> > have any significant impact on GCC development, either on a day
> > to day level or long term.
>
> Sort of like having Microsoft as one player among many. "No, we won't
> have any undue influence or control, how could you even begin to think
> such a thing?"
I hope you're trying to be funny.
Respect (and loss of it) is earned. The EGCS/GCC project has done very
well and has earned my respect as well as that of many other members of
the GCC development and user communities. I've been far more pleased
with the openness of this camp than in GCC's previous lifetime.
I'm employed by and am GCC maintainer for an OSV that competes with
RedHat in some ways. Until I see evidence to the contrary, I'm going
to consider Jeff's statement to be true. I'll continue to help GCC and
expect the other GCC members to continue to help me. If we see "undue
influence or control", let's revisit this discussion then.
Please be considerate. Until you see GCC maintainers throwing out
patches for Solaris or AIX or something becuase "it's not RedHat" or
some other form of favoritism, please don't even start the namecalling.
RJL