This is the mail archive of the egcs@egcs.cygnus.com mailing list for the EGCS project. See the EGCS home page for more information.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]

Re: why does g77 build?


>   But since I'm replying to this post I'll just ask if it would be
>   too terribly hard to have the ./configure setup a Makefile that
>   would "spit" out a shell script (uninstall.sh) after 'make install'
>   completes that would have a list similar to this:
>
>      rm -f $(prefix)/egcs-stuff-that-got-installed-1
>      rm -f $(prefix)/egcs-stuff-that-got-installed-2
>      ...
>      rm -f $(prefix)/egcs-stuff-that-got-installed-n
>
>   Basically an rm list of all the files it installed.  So then the user
>   wouldn't need to keep the src-tree for uninstalling it for the next
>   release.  Just keep the script to run at a later time.

I'm 100% in favor of that.  Wish all software worked that way.  But
it is, as you noticed when looking at the source, something that
would require a nearly complete redesign of how installations are
done, from the top (the GNU approach) on down.

In the meantime, a feasible solution is to always configure to install
into a unique tree, then substitute "rm -fr $(unique-prefix)" for
running the shell script you and I want spat out by the install.
(I use this approach to manage development snapshots, multiple FSF/EGCS
releases of gcc, etc.  It works quite well.)

        tq vm, (burley)