This is the mail archive of the egcs@egcs.cygnus.com mailing list for the EGCS project. See the EGCS home page for more information.
| Index Nav: | [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index] | |
|---|---|---|
| Message Nav: | [Date Prev] [Date Next] | [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] |
Roger Hill-Cottingham wrote: > > Toon Moene wrote: > > > > Michael Lemke wrote: > > > > > I have a question about the newer versions of g77, especially as it > > > comes with egcs 1.1.1. Why has the error level of > > > > > > OPEN( ...., READONLY, SHARED ) > > > > > > been changed from warning to fatal? This is causing me a lot of code > > > changes and makes the code incompatible with the VMS version. Before > > > the change I could just leave the code in and it would compile on VMS, > > > g77 and Solaris. Now that. What's the reason? > > > > Hmmm, I wasn't aware that this had changed ... > > > > > P.S. I would appreciate an e-mail cc. > > > > We too - to egcs@egcs.cygnus.com :-) Done. > > > > [ Forwarded ] > > > -- > > > Michael Lemke > > > INA BusinessFlow Administration (KOU2, Tel. 3441) > > > lemkemch@ina.de > > > > -- > > Toon Moene (toon@moene.indiv.nluug.nl) > > Saturnushof 14, 3738 XG Maartensdijk, The Netherlands > > Phone: +31 346 214290; Fax: +31 346 214286 > > g77 Support: fortran@gnu.org; egcs: egcs-bugs@cygnus.com > > Yep, it changed after egcs-1.0.3. In ...gcc/f/ChangeLog you will see: > > Tue May 19 14:52:41 1998 Craig Burley <burley@gnu.org> > > * bad.def (FFEBAD_OPEN_UNSUPPORTED, FFEBAD_INQUIRE_UNSUPPORTED, > FFEBAD_READ_UNSUPPORTED, FFEBAD_WRITE_UNSUPPORTED, > FFEBAD_QUAD_UNSUPPORTED, FFEBAD_BLOCKDATA_STMT, > FFEBAD_TRUNCATING_CHARACTER, FFEBAD_TRUNCATING_HOLLERITH, > FFEBAD_TRUNCATING_NUMERIC, FFEBAD_TRUNCATING_TYPELESS, > FFEBAD_TYPELESS_OVERFLOW): Change these from warnings > to errors. > > I have applied the following to my copies of subsequent versions to > revert to the original behaviour: > > tesla:/usr/local/src/egcs-1.1b/gcc/f $ diff -u bad.def.orig bad.def > --- bad.def.orig Tue Sep 8 10:59:06 1998 > +++ bad.def Tue Sep 8 10:59:29 1998 > @@ -551,7 +551,7 @@ > "Unsupported FORMAT specifier at %0") > FFEBAD_MSGS1 (FFEBAD_FORMAT_VARIABLE, FATAL, > "Variable-expression FORMAT specifier at %0 -- unsupported") > -FFEBAD_MSGS2 (FFEBAD_OPEN_UNSUPPORTED, FATAL, > +FFEBAD_MSGS2 (FFEBAD_OPEN_UNSUPPORTED, WARN, > "Unsupported OPEN control item at %0 -- ACTION=, ASSOCIATEVARIABLE=, > BLOCKSIZE=, BUFFERCOUNT=, CARRIAGECONTROL=, DEFAULTFILE=, DELIM=, > DISPOSE=, EXTENDSIZE=, INITIALSIZE=, KEY=, MAXREC=, NOSPANBLOCKS, > ORGANIZATION=, PAD=, POSITION=, READONLY=, RECORDTYPE=, SHARED=, and > USEROPEN= are not supported", > "Unsupported OPEN control item at %0") > FFEBAD_MSGS2 (FFEBAD_INQUIRE_UNSUPPORTED, FATAL, > Yep, I had found that place, too. Also the note in the change log file. But before I do the same patch and create yet another incompatibility (my g77 vs the rest of the world) I want to know the rationale behind this change. The explanation in the change log file is not sufficient. I can understand a fatal error for stuff like USEROPEN, KEY, OPRGANIZATION='KEYED' but not for READONLY, SHARED and probably a few others. If this is not going to change provide an option to turn this into a warning message. Why do new versions always break compatibility unless it's VMS? Michael -- Michael Lemke INA BusinessFlow Administration (KOU2, Tel. 3441) lemkemch@kou1.ina.de