Re: How to clean up i386 machine description?

> > There [might]
          be a sequence that sets a register to one and then adds/subtracts
> > that value from another register.  Reload might know about the equivalence
> > and decide to replace the register with the constant one in the add / subtract.
> > The instruction number is not recalculated in reload.
> Maybe stupid question, but why it should not be changed and recog the
> insn again?

During reload, one or more operands can be ill-formed.  Only when reload
is finished can we be confident that the operands are all fixed up.
Hence, if we'd try to re-recognize an instruction during reload, this
would likely fail.