egcs on Mipsel?

Hello all,
	I just got ahold of a Cobalt Qube and being the harbinger of pain
that I am, started madly re-building RedHat 5.2 .src.rpms with the
eventual intentions of getting X running on the machine. In the process, I
have run up against a road block.
	Many packages require egcs to compile. I'm not having any luck
getting egcs to compile for the mipsel architecture. In fact, it is dying
in the "configure" stage. Am I barking up the wrong tree here? Does anyone
have an egcs package or set of patches that will allow it to be compiled
on a mipsel?

[root@acct egcs-1.1b]# ./configure
Configuring for a mipsel-unknown-linux-gnu host.
Created "Makefile" in /home/redhat/BUILD/egcs-1.1b using "mt-frag"
Configuration mipsel-unknown-linux-gnu not supported
Configure in /home/redhat/BUILD/egcs-1.1b/gcc failed, exiting.

BTW: If anyone wants access to the box for testing patches, please let
     me know. I'll be happy to create an account for you...