This is the mail archive of the gcc@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]

Re: how to install a C++ compiler



  In message <3628E022.B8E5BCB9@mindspring.com>you write:
  > Probably this question is way beneath you, but I will ask anyway. All I
  > want is to install a C++ compiler so I can compile C++ programs I
  > downloaded. My Redhat 5.1 system just doesn't include a C++ compiler.
  > So, I downloaded egcs-g++-1.1. There is no configure script in this
  > package. A search returned no results. I looked at your installation
  > instructions and was stopped dead by the need for the script. So, help
  > me out here. What do I need to download from your page so I will be able
  > to compile and run C++ programs? All the instructions on your page seem
  > to be way beyond this simple need. And there are zero installation
  > instructions included in the package. Do I need some other package?
You can not build just the C++ compiler.  You must also build the C compiler.

Pick up and extract egcs-core and egcs-g++.

Then configure & build per the normal installation instructions.

I'm curious though, redhat5.1 does include a c++ compiler.  An older verison
of egcs in fact.

jeff


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]