Re: egcs-1.1 under cygwin, why save inline symbol names?

Jan Reimers <janr@molienergy.bc.ca> writes:
> > ----------
> 	_main:
> 	        pushl %ebp
> 	        movl %esp,%ebp
> 	        call ___main
> 	        movl %ebp,%esp
> 	        xorl %eax,%eax
> 	        popl %ebp
> 	        ret
> 	        .def    _func__Ct1A21e01e1;     .scl    3;      .type
> 32;     .endef
> 	        .def    _func2__H21e01e1_RCt1A21eY011eY11_v;    .scl
> 3;      .type32;
> 	        .endef
> 	bash-2.01$
>
> My complaint is with the ".def"'s at the end.  What purpose do they
> serve?  When expression templates used are they add up to an enourmous
> amount of wasted space.  I have also concluded that this has nothin to
> do templates, non-template inlines do the same thing.
>
> I hope this makes some sense, and is usefull.

Thanks for the clarification. I missed that earlier. The .def entries
were added to conform to MS specs (needed to support incremental linking I
believe), and looks like it's being emitted for "non externals" as well.
I'll look up the PE specs to see what it really says, and I'm sure Ian
Taylor, author of the patch, will be able to provide some answers to
our questions.

Ian?

Regards,
Mumit