This is the mail archive of the
gcc@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: IRIX 6 configuration sets MD_EXEC_PREFIX
- To: mark at markmitchell dot com
- Subject: Re: IRIX 6 configuration sets MD_EXEC_PREFIX
- From: Jeffrey A Law <law at cygnus dot com>
- Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 10:22:17 -0600
- cc: wilson at cygnus dot com, egcs at cygnus dot com
- Reply-To: law at cygnus dot com
In message <199809162041.NAA26350@smtp.earthlink.net>you write:
> >>>>> "Jim" == Jim Wilson <wilson@cygnus.com> writes:
>
> Jim> I added the MD_EXEC_PREFIX definition because I got tired of
> Jim> responding to bug reports from people who had a program named
> Jim> `as' or `ld' in their path which was not an assembler or
> Jim> linker respectively.
> Jim>
> Jim> <More sensible things about finding linkers deleted>
> Jim>
> Jim> I think all native toolchains should define MD_EXEC_PREFIX to
> Jim> avoid these problems if GNU as/GNU ld are not required.
>
> I thought you might say that. That's a reasonable point of view, but
> one that should probably be debated and decided, and then instituted
> across the board, if so. One of my points (badly articulated,
> perhaps) was that it seems odd to have GCC behave differently on MIPS
> than on other targets.
The MIPS is not particularly special in this regard. Other ports define
MD_EXEC_PREFIX so that gcc can find the assembler, linker, crt0.o, etc.
jeff