This is the mail archive of the
gcc@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: ADA frontend?
- To: Jeffrey A Law <law at cygnus dot com>
- Subject: Re: ADA frontend?
- From: joel at OARcorp dot com
- Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 17:31:41 -0500 (CDT)
- cc: Samuel Tardieu <sam at ada dot eu dot org>, Jamie Lokier <egcs at tantalophile dot demon dot co dot uk>, alex dot buell at tahallah dot demon dot co dot uk, Linux-Egcs <egcs at cygnus dot com>
On Mon, 7 Sep 1998, Jeffrey A Law wrote:
>
> In message <Pine.LNX.3.96.980906203715.26730D-100000@oar3remote.oarcorp.com>you write:
> > On 6 Sep 1998, Samuel Tardieu wrote:
> >
> > > IMO, but I couldn't find any reason to do this since cross-compiling
> > > with GCC (and GNAT) is really easy and needs to be done only once per
> > > platform.
> >
> > The biggest problem on many "marginally supported" hosts is that the
> > binary for gnat gets out of date. Isn't even the Linux x86 gnat 3.10p
> > binary suffering from this?
> Yup. I found this out myself when I wanted to built Ada on my
> i686-pc-linux-gnu box. The provided binaries would not work.
At least one of the problems is that the size of sigset_t changed to 1024
bits as part of (I think) the libc transitions. This is broken in 3.10p.
I suppose that to be problem, the gnat run-time would have to detect the
difference between the various Linux libc's.
I think the specs file was broken on the binary. I hand hacked at it and
copied files around from a working gcc to get there last time I had to use
it.
> Luckily I'm familiar enough with gcc that I could pick up the various
> pieces I needed from the binary dist, combine them with my existing
> glibc2 egcs build and make them work. Thus avoiding have to build
> ada as a cross compiler :-)
I only use the binary distributions long enough to build from source.
I recommend the same to anyone who asks.
Setting the GCC environment variables only confuses things when multiple
toolsets are installed.
--joel