This is the mail archive of the gcc@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]

Problems configuring egcs for gas (was Re: Compile error on hpux10.20 egcs-19980628)


Jeffrey A Law wrote:
> 
>   In message <Pine.LNX.3.96.980707111637.23779A-100000@oto.dyn.ml.org>you write:
>   > Got the following while compiling on hpux10.20.  Using gcc 2.7.1, and
>   > other gnu tools (make, binutils, sed, etc).
>   >
>   > echo "void __foo () {}" > dummy.c
>   > ./xgcc -B./  -DIN_GCC    -g -I./include  -c dummy.c
>   > as: "/var/tmp/cciR1zdq", line 10: error 1052: Directive name not
>   > recognized - FILE
>   > as: "/var/tmp/cciR1zdq", line 12: error 1052: Directive name not
>   > recognized - STABSecho "void __foo () {}" > dummy.c
>   > ./xgcc -B./  -DIN_GCC    -g -I./include  -c dummy.c
>   > as: "/var/tmp/cciR1zdq", line 10: error 1052: Directive name not
>   > recognized - FILE
>   > as: "/var/tmp/cciR1zdq", line 12: error 1052: Directive name not
>   > recognized - STABS
> You configured with --gas or --with-gnu-as, but egcs is finding the
> hpux assembler before gas.  This is covered in the faq.
> jeff

Concerning problems to configure egcs for gnu as and ld:

I myself had severe difficulties to get things right for Solaris.
I wanted to use gnu as and ld.
In my opinion (I'm not an expert) it seems somewhat difficult to
understand
how to configure the compiler properly.

I suggest that the installation description is extended so that
it will be easier to understand without being an expert.

My own problem to get egcs to use gnu ld and as was solved by an advice
by Gerald Pfeifer. I could not find any hint to what he propose in
the documentation.

Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> 
> On Sat, 4 Jul 1998, Ted Irons wrote:
> > Thanks for the tip.
> 
> Glad I could help! :-)
> 
> > How can I make sure that the binutils as and ld will be invoked?
> 
> I haven't tried this for ld, but simply copying binutils as to
> $EGCS/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1/egcs-2.91.*/ or making
> a symbolic link there works fine for me!
> 

//Peter


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]